Complete both steps of the School of Education Application, including the required essay(s).
The required essay for the M.A.T. program is comprised of three parts:
- Discuss your reasons for wanting to teach. Include how previous work, personal, and/or educational experiences have influenced your decision to become a teacher.
- Discuss the capacities you bring to working with students.
- Describe an experience or interaction with a youth or colleague who was different* from you in some significant way and what you learned from it.
*When thinking about differences, consider one or more identity characteristics—such as disability, race, religion, gender identity, socioeconomic class, documentation status, and/or political beliefs.
(Recommended length for each prompt is 300-500 words, for a total of 900-1500 words.)
Official Transcripts of all completed college-level coursework must be forwarded to the university. Transcripts should be sent directly by each institution previously attended and reflect the completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. (Degree in-progress is acceptable as long as completion date is prior to the start of classes).
Appraisal of Applicant
Two (2) Appraisal of Applicant for Degree Candidacy forms must be completed and submitted. (You will submit Appraisal of Applicant for Degree Candidacy requests to your recommenders via the online application.)
Candidates must submit a current resume. This is submitted using the online application.
An interview for M.A.T. candidates may be requested by the School of Education admission committee at its discretion.
A $60 application fee is required, except for current University of Puget Sound undergraduate students and alumni. Please submit your payment by check with the Application Fee Payment Form directly to the Office of Admission.
M.A.T. candidates are required to submit the Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B), or equivalent, and the Washington Educator Skills Test - Endorsement (WEST-E) or the National Evaluation Series (NES) scores in order to enroll. Score submission is not required for the application process. These exams can be submitted any time up until Aug. 1 of the year of enrollment.
- WEST-B: M.A.T. candidates should arrange to have scores from the WEST-B forwarded from the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board. Out-of-state candidates may substitute either Praxis I or CBEST results for the WEST-B with approval from the School of Education. (SAT and/or ACT scores can be substituted).
- WEST-E: All M.A.T. candidates must meet the content requirements for at least one endorsement area. Secondary candidates must have earned at least the equivalent of a minor (or 5 units) in a content area. Both elementary and secondary M.A.T. candidates should arrange to have scores sent from the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board for the WEST-E or NES.
M.A.T. With Music Endorsement
In addition to all requirements above, candidates must audition and submit transcripts to the School of Music. For more information, contact Ryan Del Rosario '15, music recruitment coordinator at email@example.com or 253.879.3228.