In 2016 we were the 27th largest employer in Pierce County. Each year our faculty, staff, and student employees—not to mention the thousands of visitors that come to our campus—infuse millions of dollars into the local economy.
- Number of regular employees: 750
- Regular employees living in Pierce County: 609
- Student and temporary employees: 1241
- Payroll: $53 million
- Direct salary deposits in local banks: $40.5 million
- Operating Budget: $138 million
- University expenditures on goods and services to Pierce County vendors: $7 million
- Estimated local spending by students: $13.6 million*
- Estimated local spending by campus visitors: $10 million **
*This includes estimated spending in the community for local transportation and personal costs, as well as estimated expenses for meals and housing for students living off-campus. Books and supplies are not included.
**This estimate is calculated by multiplying visitors for student recruitment, major events, and conferences by 2016 average visitor spending data from Travel Tacoma & Pierce County.